V3 of Notes and Domino V12 Beta is out, and anybody who is a Notes/Domino customer can download it and try it out, just like with Beta 1 and Beta 2.
Beta 3 Highlights
- Notes Client
- New improved Workspace
- Mac M1 Compatibility
- 64 Bit Basic Client
- Improved HTML rendering in Email
- Active Directory Password syncing
- Adding Verse to Domino installer
- Entitlement Tracking & Reporting for CCB/CCX
- Back up Solution
- Domino Designer
- Addressed beta feedback
The latest release includes:
- Domino on Docker
- Domino for Windows, Linux, AIX, IBMi
- Traveler for Windows, Linux, AIX, IBMi
- Notes Standard for Windows
- Notes Standard for Mac
- Designer and Admin Client
- Connections Plugin for Notes 12
- Notes Basic 64 bit
You can download it from Flexnet:
Here are the languages that are supported, thus far:
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
In the previous Beta version, HCL changed the workspace for the Notes client. The reactions from the HCL community were mixed. Here are the changes since then:
- Cleaned up the fonts on chicklets (modern)
- Reduced excessive spacing
- Changed the font color of workspace database icon-policy (WorkspaceTextColor) – End user can change
- Added mechanisms to partially/ completely collapse navigator
- Added indications to identify multiple replicas
- Keyboard Navigation
Here’s a picture of my workspace, so that you can see some of the new stuff:
Here’s what will be coming after general release of V12:
- Modern hover on workspace icons (complete database name/server name/more info about application)
- Rearranging the pages (Workspace tabs)
- Search bar for workspace
Apple M1 Support
M1 is Apple’s latest hardware offering, which was released in January.
HCL have tested and confirmed that v12 Notes Standard client Beta 3 does work on the following hardware:
- M1 Mac Mini: 8-core CPU, 16GB unified memory
- New Apple MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Chip (13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
They would like customers to try it and give them feedback
Forum and feedback
Register for new Account: https://registration.hclpartnerconnect.com/betasignup.nsf
Active Directory password sync
You will no longer have to remember one password for your PC account and one for your Notes account. You will now be able to set up syncronisation so that whenever a user’s password is changed in Active Directory, it will automatically also be changed for Notes.
AD password change events are sync-ed to Domino in less than 5 seconds. This change can be either admin or user-initiated.
Backup = COOL!
You will from now on be able to run backup of your Notes/Domino environment in a much better way than before.
A new backup solution is embedded in Domino. It will come preinstalled but you will have to activate yourself on every Domino server where you want it to run. You control the backup from a Notes application:
You can run this with a backup provider of your choice. There’s no longer any need to run Tivoli next to your regular backup environment.
- Backup Configuration
- Destination: (local/cloud storage, backup vendor)
- What to back up? Directories/file names to include / exclude
- Restore jobs to be processed
- Side-by-side / Replace
- Who will have access to restore
- Backup/restore logs
- Transaction log backup history
Domino Server Tasks
- Invoke Domino Backup C-API to put NSF/NTF file in backup mode
- Notify configured backup subsystem to start backup
- Wait for backup to finish and reactivate Domino databases
- Process data that is made available by backup environment and make available to Domino. (Disable agents, change filename, change ACL, change ReplicaID, etc.)
- Replay transaction logs (if requested)
Here’s the technical bit:
You will now also be able to keep track of how many licenses you have, and what level of access each user have on the server.
A user needs a license (entitlement) when:
- They have the ability toaccess the server§
- Server Access Security Settings
- Ability to authenticate with the server
- They have ACL access to at least onedatabase on the server
- Explicitly named in an ACL
- Member of a group named in an ACL
- Match a *wild card in an ACL
- Database has a –Default-access level of READER or higher
Domino will now come with a Notes application called Entitlement Tracking:
You can also generate a report and email it to HCL or the powers that be:
New HCL Connections plugin
The HCL Connections plugin for Notes have famously been completely broken since V10. Windows close at whim, you risk your workspace being ruined and you haven’t been able to upload files into Connections from Notes.
In the same directory where you find the files for downloading Notes V12 Beta 3 and Domino V12 Beta 3, you will also find a file called ConnectionsAddonInstallerforNotes12_Beta.zip. Do yourself a favour and donwload it. You can once again integrate Notes with Connections.